Saturday, April 29, 2006

Field Legs

Every day when I'm working in the field or in the greenhouse I am bombarded with great ideas on what should go on the blog. I finish a tray of a certain variety of eggplants and I think:
I should write about this eggplant variety (Little Spooky) and why it's one of my all-time favoirte varieties even though it's the dickens to get started!
Tim and I research plant families as we fine-tune our 5-year rotation plan and I think:
I should tell everyone that tomatoes and potatoes are in the same plant family (Solanaceae) and now that I think about it, I'm kind of dense for not realizing it before because pototo foilage does resemble tomato foilage, tomato flowers do resemble potato flowers, potatoes is tomatoes with a p instead of a t, and there are certain varities of tomatoes (the infamous Brandywine for one) that are known as potato leaf varities.
I sprinkle basalt onto my garlic and I think:
I should explain why we're tossing rock dust all over our field!
I frown over leeks that didn't come in as thick as I wanted them to and I think:
I should explain how cucial temperature is when it comes to getting good germination and how those days of 80 degree weather thoroughly confused our plants!
And then I think:
I should describe how well they've all recovered and how resilient plants are!
I stumble as I drag hoses across rough ground and I think:
I should talk about how tricky it is to walk across this garden of ours!

In fact, the ground in the garden is uneven, sometimes clumpy, sometimes grassy, and sometimes spongy, and you need "field legs" to walk across our field kind of like the way you need "sea legs" to walk around a boat at sea. I've forgotten how much energy it takes to spend a day gardening. It doesn't seem like hard work when you're doing it but then at the end of the day you're exhausted. I can't work more than 8 hours without really slowing down. And by the end of the day, all those wonderful ideas still seem wonderful...but I'm just too tired to sit at my desk and write. What a wimp! It's getting better every day, but I'll be super happy when I finally get my "field legs" in good working order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home