Saturday, May 05, 2007

Could You Go a Year Without Toilet Paper?

I don't think I could, but that's exactly what the Conlin-Beavin family is doing in an attempt to live for a year without leaving an impact on the environment, according to this article.

Here's the scoop:

Welcome to Walden Pond, Fifth Avenue style. Isabella’s parents, Colin Beavan, 43, a writer of historical nonfiction, and Michelle Conlin, 39, a senior writer at Business Week, are four months into a yearlong lifestyle experiment they call No Impact. Its rules are evolving, as Mr. Beavan will tell you, but to date include eating only food (organically) grown within a 250-mile radius of Manhattan; (mostly) no shopping for anything except said food; producing no trash (except compost, see above); using no paper; and, most intriguingly, using no carbon-fueled transportation.

It helps that they have a book deal to write about their experience, but deal or no deal, I don't think I could do what they're doing! The article details their current lifestyle, which is pretty intense. Maybe they're taking it a little far, but it made me think about my lifestyle and ways to lessen my impact on the environment. If you want to follow their journey, check out their blog, noimpactman.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home